!!! The contents of this webpage are copyrighted materials by Joon Ho Cho (c)2013. !!!
EECE 490W (1-0-1) Technical Writing and Presentation for Sophomores 2 (Fall 2013)
offered by Prof. Joon Ho Cho affiliated with the Department of Electrical Engineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH).
- Welcome to, tentatively named as, REmedial Class for English Proficiency Improvement (RECEPI).
- I hope this course be humorously a.k.a. POSTECH Experience of Elementary School in America (PEESA) ^^;
This course aims at improving the writing and presenting skills in technical English of the 2nd-semester sophomores in the Department of Electrical Engineering, POSTECH, Korea.
I hope this course and its sister courses to be offered in the later semesters greatly help the POSTECH-EE-undergraduate students better prepared for their future world-class research and development activities after graduation.
Instructor: Professor Joon Ho Cho
Office) LG 419
E-mail) jcho (at) postech (dot) ac (dot) kr
Office Hours: immediately after every class meeting
Jubum Kim: wnqja321 (at) postech (dot) ac (dot) kr
Eunae Lee: euneh (at) postech (dot) ac (dot) kr
Minuk Kim: thisnuk (at) postech (dot) ac (dot) kr
Office) LG 418
It is your responsibility to check every new announcement and update posted at Announcements and Schedule/Downloads.
Textbook: Same as that for EECE233 (Fall 2013)
A. V. Oppenheim and A. S. Willsky, Signals and Systems, 2nd Edition. Prentice Hall, 1996
References: All reserved in the POSTECH library.
수학 핵심 용어 사전 = English-Korean dictionary of mathematics for studying abroad : 해외유학생용 / Hakuya Takahashi 지음 ; [시공아카데미 편집부 옮김]
수학 용어 숙어 영한사전 = Mathematics English-Korean Dictionary / 김 용운 편.
수학 용어 숙어 영한 한영사전 = Mathematics English-Korean and Korean-English Dictionary / 김용운 편.
수학용어사전 = Mathpedia / 이은승 지음.
Harold Levine, Vocabulary 22000. Published originally by 고려원, and later by 시사영어사.
- Everyday hand-writing homework
- Legible hand
- Vocabulary set building
- Correlation among words
- Constructing a sentence
- Organizing a paragraph
- Composing a section
- Writing a document
2nd week: 1st 3-minute presentation in English . For details, see Schedule/Downloads.
3rd-14th weeks: Every meeting consists of a sequence of two-part activities.
- Individual Recitation
- You must sit next to your DRP in the classroom.
- If your DRP is absent w/o excuse or late, then you must find a temporary recitation partner (TRP) in the same situation.
- If you still cannot find one, a TA will play as your TRP.
- The following will be repeated 3 times.
- The instructor will read a part of the
modified version of one of the students' typing homeworktextbook on the screen with emphasis on accent; intonation; 밑줄 치며 읽는 법;슬래쉬, 꺽쇠하며 읽는 법; 문단 나누기; etc.
- Then, every student recites it loudly.
- Duet Recitation
- The following will be repeated 4 times.
- One student reads what is on the screen of the classroom. There will be many blanks compared with what is used in the individual recitation.
- His/Her DRP/TRP uses the textbook and the assessment card to check loudness, pronunciation, accents, correctness, etc.
- After each recitation, the DRP/TRP points out what is unsatisfactory.
- Exchange the roles.
- Each student assesses his/her DRP's performance and writes it on his/her note that will be turned in at the end of a class meeting.
The assessment card per each student filled up by his/her partner must be submitted at the end of each class meeting. (The card will only be used to check your attendance in the class meeting.)
Midterm Period: For details, see Schedule/Downloads.
- In-class midterm exam: Translation of a technical document written in Korean to that in English.
Submission of each students' half-completed Latex beamer slide file for final presentation both in .tex and .pdf formats.
Each student's 5-minute presentation in English of the instructor provided Latex beamer slide file on the overview of EECE233 Signals and Systems.
Final exam: For details, see Schedule/Downloads.
- In-class final exam: Translation of a technical document written in Korean to that in English.
Submission of each student's completed Latex beamer slide files for final presentation in .tex and .pdf formats.
- Each student's 3-5
12-minute presentation in English (and recording) of his/her own Latex beamer slides on the subject determined in the beginning of the semester.
0. 3-minute initial presentation
1. Everyday hand-writing homework
2 Attendance and Participation in recitation* Pass/Fail
3-1. Midterm Translation Exam
10% 3-2. Midterm Beamer slide files' Half-Completeness Pass/Fail 3-3. Midterm Presentation 10 %
4-1. Final Translation Exam
4-2. Final Beamer slide files' Completeness
4-3. Final Presentation
* Up to total 2 excused (with acceptable reasons) recitation class meetings and late attendances are allowed, as long as you provide your DRP with a temporary recitation partner (TRP) who even can be any POSTECH student without enrollment in this course to .
* Up to total one un-excused class absence or a late attendance will be allowed. Otherwise, a final grade F will be given. So, please carefully decide whether to take this course or not, in order not to make your DRP panic.
Use of Personal Response System (PRS) or Socrative
We may use the PRS system or equivalent such as Socrative system through this course. Once the PRS transmitter is distributed in the beginning of the semester, it's your responsibility to bring it at every meeting with fully charged batteries and return it at the end of the semester.
Policy on Academic Dishonesty
If the instructor suspects academic dishonesty, the instructor will notify the student(s) and follow the procedure to report to the school without any exception. Students have the responsibility to be knowledgeable about the consequences of dishonesty.